Thursday, March 02, 2017

Of forever in blue jeans... in principle




Money talks
But it don't sing and dance
And it don't walk
And long as I can have you
Here with me, I'd much rather be
Forever in blue jeans

- Neil Diamond "Forever in blue jeans"

Frankly, Neil Diamond's songs are always close to my heart, especially from his "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" album about a carefree seagull going against the norm towards reaching his dreams. You guys need to do some research on this as this an oldie album.. maybe in the 70's. It is a gem... that is all I can say.

Way back in my younger days, I love blue jeans when Levis 501 is just USD 12 in USA. The more I wear it, the more I love it when it faded followed by the jeans ripped at your knees area. I still wear them to the day my mom conspired with my other half and conveniently hid all my precious jeans... those were the days, my friends.



This is not about blue jeans but more of the spirit of blue jeans wearers. I see blue jeans as an extension of the free spirit when we are younger when everything is easy-going and almost carefree. I see blue jeans as the symbol of the 70's when the youths of that era rose and stood against the establishment, leading world-wide changes. Ahhh... those were the days when we stood together shoulder to shoulder against "injustice"...



Roy Clark get it right in "Yesterday when I was young"...

Yesterday when I was young
The taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue.
I teased at life as if it were a foolish game,
The way the evening breeze may tease a candle flame.
The thousand dreams I dreamed, the splendid things I planned
I always built to last on weak and shifting sand.
I lived by night and shunned the naked light of the day
And only now I see how the years ran away.

Now, where are the footsoldiers who will continue the legacy of standing up against injustice and social imbalance? Oddly enough, our youths are trapped within the rempits, the cyclists, the signage climbers, the clubbers with few having the heart and soul for the betterment of Malaysia.

Instead of focussing to ridding the corrupted from ruining Malaysia, the youths are easily swayed by out-of focus NGOs' who capitalise on youths innocence for their benefits. We have the reds coming out demonstrating their "prowess" of harassing others, we have the "yellows" who flooded KL with different agendas, we have the "purples" who converge in Padang Merbok for something that they might not fully understand.

Malaysia is now in a state of "rojak". Too many ingredients and we failed to collectively act as one demanding "those who ruin the country" should face the music. Instead of a collective joint effort of ridding those who ruin the country, we have different voices singing different songs to different tunes depending on who is the maestro. The youths of today is not moving as an integral part of the society. Just like opposition parties, we are actually promoting fragmentation within the ranks. There is no "focus" and "priority" to right the wrong facing Malaysia.

Whilst most mainline newspapers talked about the charges against the "women assassin", a small ripple caught my eye. It is about "lone ranger Ong Tee Kiat" quitting MCA. Why he choose to quit MCA was not revealed. It could not be of him sulking because there is no reason for him to sulk. It could not be about his displeasure against the current set of MCA leaders as he did not lose to them.

Could it be because he is "frustrated" with MCA for being "ball-less" in preventing the rot getting worse in Malaysia? If MCA which is regarded representing the Chinese and representing the business of Malaysia could not make a firm stand in ridding those who is ruining Malaysia, then it is a wise move for Ong Tee Keat to bade farewell to his favourite party, the party that propels him to national recognition and the party that once put him in Putrajaya.

We need more Ong Tee Kiats... the movement ridding Malaysia of those who is ruining the country should start within ourselves. There are too many pilferages going on, there are too many rakyats suffering and the politicians are too busy enriching themselves - be it from ruling party or otherwise.

What about G25 - Group of Eminent Malaysians? How eminence are they if this group fails to find a consensus on how to stop those ruining Malaysia in their tracks? Is G25 really putting Malaysia first or are they really a group of "has-beens" who is vying for bread crumps and are actually "supporters for hire"? I see G 25 as more of a reactionary group instead of a pro-active group. I see them more of a liberalist group than a group fighting to fight social and financial injustice.

What has G25 got to say about possible conflict of interest regarding the housing issue as published by Malaysiakini today? This should be looked into as police report has been done and the report involved Minister Rahman Dahlan and AG's wife. Not much can be said of Rahman dahlan as he is a politician and as mentioned numerous times, politicians are there to milk the rakyats. What G25 should seriously look into is on claims regarding AG's wife. G25, if it consider itself as a pressure group should ask for speedy investigation on the police reports as this involves the integrity of AG and God forbids, AG should not compromise his stands against crime eventhough that might ends him signing charge sheet against his own wife. What of importance is G25 impartiality in dealing with high profile cases, if G 25 is really eminent.

When I turn towards those who is at the fringes of corridor of power, I see a group of opportunists who are clamouring to be seen and fighting to be "chosen" to inherit the plump cushion of political power for financial gains. They are not there to propel Malaysia to a better future but more of being there to self-promote their selves for parliamentary seats, state seats or at least Chairman of GLCs'. To them, material wealth supercedes their moral obligation for a better Malaysia. Do you think they care if the rakyats is bleeding with 11 sen price hike for every kilo of sugar? Do you think they hear the rakyats sobbing on RM 2.30 per litre RON 95 fuel?

Blue jeans generation are those with principle. They are willing to go out and stand with the oppressed fighting against social and financial injustice. Eventhough this writer has many opportunities to be in the corridor of powers including head-hunted to be a potential MP, I am not willing to forego my principles for worldly wealth. This has shaped me into a seasoned observer, looking on as Malaysia is slipping further and further down.

Yes, I might have aged but I will forever be in blue jeans at heart. I believe Malaysia deserves a better future and has the potential to be so, with the right person to guide our country. I have done my job, now you guys go out and do yours...
Signing off... listen to the smooth melody of "Be" from original soundtrack of "Jonathan Livingston Seagull".. high above the clouds, dare to dream for perfection...



Till then...G'nite M'sia...wherever u are...

No comments: